History of DMPCC
The purpose of a Postal Customer Council (PCC) is to strengthen the working relationship between the United States Postal Service (USPS) and its customers. The program is intended to establish an effective dialogue and improve communications between the U. S. Postal Service and its customers. The PCC’s help keep customers informed of changes in service.
The program began in 1961 as a way for postal customers to communicate more effectively with postal managers. Originally called Mail Users Councils, their intent was to better regulate the flow of mail through a “Mail Early” campaign. The name was changed to Postal Customer Council in 1971. Once customers and postal managers established better communication through the PCC’s, they found that many problems could be solved and service improved measurably.
Des Moines Postal History
The United States Post Office is an historic building located in Des Moines, Iowa, United States. It was individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. It became a contributing property of the Civic Center Historic District when it was established in 1988. It now houses administrative offices for Polk County.
Prior to the opening of this building the post office was located in the old Federal Building at Fifth and Court Avenues, beginning in 1870. A $150,000 appropriation was approved by the United States Congress in legislation passed in 1902 for property for a new post office.
For more information on Des Moines Postal History, Click Here.